Monday, December 1, 2014

Low Carb Egg Nog

I came up with my own low carb egg nog last year, and it was a hit with my guests including the ones who aren’t abstaining from sugar. I’ve noticed that the amount of egg yolks and ratio of heavy cream to whole milk in most recipes vary significantly. Some add cinnamon and cloves, but most do not. I do. In fact, I use pumpkin pie spice since that contains a nice mix of flavors, but counterbalance it with extra nutmeg since that needs to be the most prominent.

Egg yolks provide richness and add viscosity. However, my egg nog uses only four since I whip the heavy cream until it thickens slightly. Real egg nog includes the egg whites folded in the mix after they’ve been whipped into a light foam. I like to use pasteurized eggs, so whipping egg whites is usually an exercise in futility. Cream of tartar helps, but this year, I’m going to try to also separate the eggs in advance and allow the whites to become room temperature.

Most people (including me) prefer it without booze. I keep a small mix of bourbon, cognac, and rum (usually a 2:1:1 or 6:4:1 ratio) on the side and let people add what they want.

Ingredients


4 large eggs, separated
½ teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
2 cups (476 g) heavy cream
1 tablespoon Truvia
14 drops EZ-Sweetz
2 cups (484 g) almond milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions

  1. Separate the eggs. Put the whites in a metal bowl and whisk until peaks form. Cream of tartar may help if using pasteurized eggs. Allowing the whites to be room temperature before whisking will also help.
  2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whisk egg yolks. Add Truvia while whisking to integrate the granular sweetener into the yolks.  Add EZ-Sweetz and heavy cream.
  3. Continue to use electric mixer until the heavy cream begins to thicken. Add almond milk, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice and mix some more.
  4. Fold in whipped egg whites.
  5. Pour into glasses and sprinkle nutmeg and/or pumpkin pie spice on top.

Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment