CAUTION: Consuming raw eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Pasteurized eggs can be used in this recipe. Not every form of glycerin is fit for human consumption. For example, diethylene glycol is toxic and should not be consumed. Always verify the product is safe to use.
Low Carb Sweet Cream Base
1 tablespoon LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain Flavorings, Lemon Custard
Shannon’s Sugar-Free Meringues
- Follow the directions to make the meringues. The recipe will make more
than you will need, but better to be safe than sorry. 6 tablespoons of
powdered erythritol is approximately 48 grams. You may use pasteurized egg
whites for this recipe rather than raw. If so, I suggest you increase the cream
of tartar to ½ teaspoon.
You do not need to put them in a bag and pipe them. These are going in ice cream. They don’t have to be fancy looking. I used a tablespoon to glop them on a silicone lined backing sheet and they came out just fine.
- Add the baked meringues to the ice cream container.
They should not be soft. Be careful not to crush them.
- Put the container for the ice cream including its cover upright in the freezer now. This serves two purposes: it keeps the container cold and it forces you to make sure that there’s space in the freezer.
- Follow the instructions for the Low Carb Sweet Cream Base except slightly reduce the amount of heavy cream. (E.g., 2 cups instead of 2¼ cups of heavy cream.) Add the LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain Flavorings, Lemon Custard to the sweet cream base. Cover and chill if necessary.
- Follow your ice cream maker’s directions for making ice cream. One to two minutes before the ice cream is done, add the meringues. Use a silicone spatula to remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and freeze until solid.