Saturday, November 22, 2014

Ice Cream Junk and Stuff #1

Here are a few minor topics that I’d like to cover...

Why no mint ice cream flavors?


I don’t like mint ice creams; never did. Have no fear if you do. Add peppermint extract and green food coloring to the mix and you’ve got mint flavored (and colored) ice cream.

Why no coffee ice creams?


I don’t like coffee ice creams either. However, it’s also easy to accomplish. Add freeze dried instant coffee crystals to the mix and you’ll have coffee flavored ice cream.

Why aren’t there more chocolate ice cream flavors?


Chocolate ice cream is a pain in the neck and I’ve been consumed with other flavor combinations that all of my chocolate ice cream based endeavors have been put on the back burner. I plan on documenting a low carb chocolate base that most chocolate ice creams will reference just like I did with the Low Carb Sweet Cream Base. I will go back and revise the chocolate ice creams that I’ve posted in the past to use this base, too.

What’s coming up?


Now that I’ve developed what I consider the perfect low carb chocolate brownie, expect to see ice creams with brownie chunks real soon. I experimented in the past to create a low carb white chocolate bar, but I was never satisfied with the results. I went through a pound of cocoa butter trying to get it right. Instead, I’m probably going to make a white chocolate version of my brownie simply by substituting the chocolate for cocoa butter and some soy milk powder. I already made one without the soy milk powder and it came out pretty darn good, so it will definitely be optional. Maybe I can finally come up with something close to New York Super Fudge Chunk! And no, a white chocolate brownie is not a blondie. That’s a completely different thing.

I also found a source who sold me smaller quantities of the ice cream flavors usually only available in quart containers, so I’m going to be trying those out real soon, too.

Jimmy Moore Podcast


I was on episode 130 of “Low-Carb Conversations With Jimmy Moore & Friends” a while back where I briefly discussed making low carb ice cream. It looks like I’ve inspired someone:


Jes Brevoort (@JesBrevoort) tried her hand at low carb ice cream based on my recipe. I’d love to give her cranberry ice cream a whirl for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment