Monday, March 31, 2014

Low Carb Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

My next ice cream idea is for Cookies and Cream. It’s basically a sweet cream base with Oreo cookies added. Oreos are hardly low carb, so either I have to find an off the shelf replacement or make my own. Atkins used to make an Oreo clone called “Atkins Endulge Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies.” They tasted good, but they caused stomach upset and were mostly made from wheat flour. If there was ever an Atkins product that stretched the idea of “low carb,” it was this one. That's probably why it’s been discontinued.

I found an number of Oreo clone recipes on the Internet. Many of them are just plain wrong. Oreo cookies are very dark, flat, and crisp. Any recipe that lists baking powder as an ingredient is wrong. There should be no leavening. There needs to be lots of cocoa to ensure a strong chocolate flavor. Dutch process cocoa powder would probably work better since it’s darker and less acidic, but the regular stuff I had on-hand seemed to work just fine. For the flour, I used a combination of almond, coconut, and flax. The flax meal gives it a slight “cracker” texture and flavor.

Oreo cream filling is made from vegetable shortening, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Crisco is made from soybeans, so I wouldn’t recommend it. I’d try ones that are made from palm oil instead. Unfortunately, I don’t have any in the house, so I tried something different. I made my filling based on 50% butter and 50% coconut oil. The result was incredible! I used a very neutral tasting coconut oil. Most brands are okay, but ones like Trader Joes’ have a strong coconut aroma and flavor.

To make the round cookie shapes, I borrowed a 2” cap from a vitamin container. Worked as well as any cookie cutter that I’ve ever used.

I ended up with 32 finished cookies (two chocolate cookies and filling) when I was done, but I estimate there should have been about 36 due to some of them being sampled...you know, for science. The gram weights of the ingredients were based mostly on my measurements rather than what’s listed on the label. (The cocoa powder was off by 20%!)

UPDATE (2014-04-05): I modified the recipe slightly for the cookie to use more coconut flour and less almond flour and I like it better, so I changed the amounts below. I also attempted a batch of filling using Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening, which is made from 100% palm oil. It works great, but I personally think the taste of the coconut oil/butter experiment of mine tastes better. I include the weights because cooking using a scale is much easier. I may do a write up on this topic one day.

UPDATE (2015-06-19): I noticed that the amount of sweetener in the cookies was half of what it ought to be. I fixed it.

UPDATE (2019-12-22): Sorry, I forgot to say that the BEST cocoa powder to use for these faux Oreos is King Arthur Flour Black Cocoa. It doesn't just enhance the color. It's the flavor, too! I also adjusted the instructions to use softened butter instead of melted butter for the cookies.

Ingredients


Cookie


½ cup (67 g) coconut flour
1 cup (100 g) cocoa powder (dutch process preferred)
½ cup (56 g) almond flour
¼ cup (26 g) ground golden flax (flaxmeal)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons Truvia
56 drops EZ-Sweetz
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons (32 g) almond butter
1½ stick (170 g) butter, softened

Filling


1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (112 g) coconut oil, melted slightly

   or

1 cup (192 g) vegetable shortening

28 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 cup (132 g) powdered erythritol
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Cookies: Sift the coconut flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients (almond flour, flax meal, Truvia, and salt) and stir to combine.
  2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and then whisk in the eggs, EZ-Sweetz, almond butter and vanilla.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry (or vice-versa) and mix until it forms a thick dough.
  4. On a non-stick silicone baking sheet, flatten out the dough with you hand. Use a cookie cutter or cap from a vitamin bottle to make 2” round cookie shapes. Push it down and swirl it around until the dough loosens from the silicone mat. You should be able to lift and transfer it to another silicone baking sheet or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. They can be placed close together since they will not rise or spread much.

    Sandwich cookie "ends."

  5. Bake these on a lined baking tray at 350 °F for 14-16 minutes. The edges should just start to brown. If not, cook longer in 2 minute intervals. Remove and let cool. Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
  6. Filling: Take a cold stick of butter from the refrigerator and coconut oil at room temperature and microwave for 20 seconds in a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup. This should soften both. Vegetable shortening does not require any heating. Use at room temperature.
  7. Use a hand mixer to combine and smooth. Add powdered erythritol, EZ-Sweetz, and vanilla extract. Beat until fluffy.
  8. Spoon filling onto each cookie side and put together. Put finished cookies in sealed container in refrigerator to set.
Low carb Oreo cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment