Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Low Carb Banana Curry Ice Cream

This flavor was inspired by Lindsay Clendaniel. She concocted a banana curry ice cream using mashed up bananas, brown sugar, lemon juice, and sweet curry powder. Curries are like fingerprints: each one is unique. I made sure to purchase the same one she used in the original.

I’m a firm believer in going strong when it comes to flavoring. I tried this using one tablespoon of curry, but it overpowered the banana flavoring and was a little too strong. I cut it back to two teaspoons and the balance is pretty spot on. I used a teaspoon of molasses as a brown sugar substitute and works much better than brown sugar flavorings. I wasn’t sure if I truly needed the lemon juice, but I added it anyway. A half of a lemon should give you approximately a tablespoon of juice.

This low carb conversion could have been done using either my French custard or Philadelphia style base. The directions below use the latter. I would cut all the spices and flavorings in half if I were to attempt a French custard base version of this ice cream.

Ingredients


Low Carb Philadelphia-style Ice Cream Base
2 teaspoons sweet curry powder
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon (7 g) molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain Flavorings, Banana

Directions

  1. Follow the instructions for the Low Carb Philadelphia-style Ice Cream Base and mix in all the additional ingredients except for the vanilla extract and banana flavoring to the base. Add the last two ingredients after the mix has cooled. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
  2. Follow your ice cream maker’s directions for making ice cream. Remove from the ice cream maker using a silicone spatula into the container. Freeze until solid.
Scoops of ice cream.

Scoops of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment