Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Low Carb Don Draper Ice Cream

This flavor was inspired during a marathon viewing of the TV series Mad Men. The lead character, Don Draper, often orders a drink called an Old Fashioned: whiskey (rye or bourbon), Angostura bitters, club soda, sugar, and a twist of orange rind. I hadn’t done a boozy ice cream in a while and this seemed simple and fun to try.

This ought to be a very versatile recipe since none of the flavorings require heating to infuse them. However, I only tried making this using my Philadelphia style base. If you’d like to use one of my other ice cream bases, half the bourbon, bitters, etc. Finding Angostura bitters was a lot harder than I thought it would be. None of the liquor stores I tried carried it. I eventually found it in a supermarket of all places. I don’t put a lot of orange or cherry flavoring in this ice cream since those flavors should be very subtle. There’s no need for glycerine since I use a lot of alcohol in this recipe. I should mention that this is VERY boozy with four tablespoons of whiskey, so if you plan on cutting back to three, add in a tablespoon of glycerine to compensate for the freezing point depression loss.

Don Draper.
Four tablespoons? You call THAT boozy?

Ingredients


Low Carb 11.5% Fat Philadelphia-style Ice Cream Base without glycerine!
4 tablespoons rye or bourbon whiskey
1 tablespoon Angostura bitters
¼ teaspoon orange extract
¼ teaspoon maraschino cherry concentrate (optional)

Directions

  1. Follow the directions to make the ice cream base. Add the rest of the ingredients when the mix has been chilled.
Scoops of ice cream.

Scoops of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment