Sunday, July 6, 2014

Low Carb Pistachio Ice Cream

Pistachio ice cream is one of those flavors that I really like, but rarely make. I must subconsciously think that pistachio ice cream is an just an ordinary flavor and should concentrate on more exotic concoctions. While I will never be so boring as to make a plain vanilla or chocolate ice cream, pistachio deserves its time in the spotlight. What nudged me towards this decision was my recent buying-spree of ice cream flavorings made by LorAnn Oils. I plan to base the majority of my recipes in the near future on these babies.

If you don’t have (or don’t want to use) the pistachio flavoring, grind at least half the roasted pistachios with a food processor S-blade and add ¼-½ teaspoon of almond extract and green food coloring. I’d personally try turning the pistachios into a nut butter and blend it into the mixture. Other recipes I’ve seen recommend to leave the pistachios finely ground.

I bought my pistachios already dry roasted and salted from Trader Joe’s called “Pistachio Nutmeats” and it comes in a 8 oz bag. Use more of the flavoring if you are using my Philadelphia ice cream mix.

Ingredients


Low Carb Sweet Cream Base
1-2 tablespoons LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain, Pistachio Nut
¾ cup (90 g) Trader Joe's Pistachio Nutmeats

Directions

  1. Put the nuts in an empty ice cream container and place in the freezer. This serves two purposes: it keeps the container cold and it forces you to make sure that there’s space in the freezer.
  2. Follow the instructions for the Low Carb Sweet Cream Base. Add the LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain, Pistachio Nut to the sweet cream base. Cover and chill if necessary.
  3. Follow your ice cream maker’s directions for making ice cream. Add the pistachios approximately five minutes before the ice cream will be done. Use a silicone spatula to remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and freeze until solid.
Scoops of ice cream.

Scoops of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment