I purchased crème fraîche from Trader Joe’s. I had to buy 3 containers although I didn’t have to use that much of the third one to reach 480 g. The resulting ice cream mix was very thick, so it didn’t take as long to freeze. I doubled the glycerine because of this.
1 cup (242 g) unsweetened almond milk or equivalent
4 tablespoons LC Foods Milk Powder (optional)
1½ tablespoons Truvia
5 large egg yolks
Big pinch of salt
21 drops EZ-Sweetz
2 tablespoons (38 g) vegetable glycerin
1½ teaspoons lemon zest (about 2 small lemons)
2 cups (480 g) crème fraîche
½ teaspoon almond extract
¾ cup (75 g) sliced almonds, raw
- Add the egg yolks to the 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup and let stand. You will need an ice bath for the custard, so prepare a bowl large enough to accommodate ice and the measuring cup.
- In a small pot, add unsweetened almond milk, Truvia, and low carb milk powder. Heat on
stove top at medium heat until it reaches approximately 170 °F while stirring periodically.
- Slowly pour the warm mixture from the pot into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
Scrape the warmed mixture back into the pot and return it to the stove top. Put a strainer on top of the 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. The temperature should not exceed 175 °F. This may take a while to thicken sufficiently.
Pour the custard through the strainer into the measuring cup.
Remove the strainer and zest the lemons with a microplane into the mix. Whisk in the EZ-Sweetz, glycerin, and crème fraîche.
- Cover with plastic wrap, put the measuring cup in an ice bath, and chill in a refrigerator until cooled completely.
- Once cool, whisk in the almond extract with a hand mixer starting on low and increasing to high. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add sliced almonds about 10 minutes before the ice cream will be done. Use a silicone spatula to remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and put into empty container. Freeze until solid.