This flavor was inspired by the famous Franklin Barbecue restaurant in Austin, Texas. Imagine you had just eaten a spice-rubbed, long-smoked brisket doused with a tangy barbecue sauce. Then you plopped some chocolate cake onto the plate. The resulting sweet, smoky, zingy, peppery, perky, tangy blend is truly complex, as only great Texas barbecue can be.This is my first attempt at a low carb conversion from the CoolHaus book of ice cream recipes. I like their flavor combinations, but not many can be adapted. I also found many of the recipe instructions were confusing and written poorly. I’m using Guy’s Award Winning Sugar Free BBQ Sauce plus a little bit of bourbon. I figure the alcohol will keep the sugar-free sauce from freezing, plus...well, booze. Is any other reason necessary?
I never bought “chipotle pepper in adobo” and the book wasn’t too helpful in specifying a size and quantity. I discovered the only size available is 7 oz cans. The ingredients seem to differ slightly between brands, so your ice cream may taste a little different depending on the one you choose.
I like spicy foods including ice cream, but the flavor of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is too overpowering. The bourbon spiked barbecue sauce swirl doesn’t add anything unique. The older recipe that combined spicy chili powder and brandy was better, in my humble opinion.
1 can (7 oz) chipotle pepper in adobo (or 1½ peppers, if you like things spicy)
Low Carb Chocolate Philadelphia-style Ice Cream Base or Low Carb Chocolate French Custard Ice Cream Base
Whiskey BBQ Sauce Swirl
3 tablespoons (45 g) sugar-free barbeque sauce
1-2 teaspoons bourbon
- Whiskey BBQ Sauce Swirl: Mix barbecue sauce and bourbon in a small bowl and place covered in the refrigerator for later.
- Ice Cream: Puree chipotle pepper in adobo using a stand or immersion blender.
- Stir pureed chipotle pepper in adobo into cream mixture of base before heating. Proceed with Low Carb Chocolate Ice Cream Base as directed.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer a third to an empty ice cream container and swirl in some whiskey barbecue sauce. Add another third and swirl in more sauce. Repeat one more time. Freeze for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.