Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Low Carb Avocado Ice Cream

This has got to be the easiest ice cream recipe in “The Perfect Scoop” by David Lebovitz. No cooking at all. Just toss the ingredients in a blender and churn. Avocados definitely sound like a strange ingredient for an ice cream, but this flavor works really well thanks to the sour cream and lime.

I didn’t have Hass avocados, but the regular ones worked well. Thankfully, I have a food scale and was able to weigh them since I discovered that three wouldn’t have been enough. The recipe didn’t yield a quart of ice cream, but I think part of it was due to it being almost impossible to get all of the mix out of the blender. I don’t think a blender was even necessary since the avocados were soft. I’m sure using my hand mixer would have worked just as well. The other issue is that I forgot to add the vegetable glycerine and this froze a lot quicker in the ice cream maker. I don’t think there was enough opportunity for air to get into the mix.

Ingredients


3 medium-sized ripe Hass avocados (about 1½ pounds, 675 g)
1 tablespoon (18 g) vegetable glycerin
1½ tablespoons Truvia
21 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 cup (240 g) sour cream
½ cup (119 g) heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Big pinch of salt

Directions

  1. Slice the avocados in half and pluck out the pits. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and cut it into little pieces.
  2. Purée the avocado pieces in a blender or food processor with the Truvia, EZ-Sweetz, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, glycerine, and salt until smooth.

    Blender with mix.

  3. Freeze immediately in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Scoops of ice cream.

Scoops of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment