Cream cheese frosting ought to be very straightforward, but the recipes I found seem to vary to the proportion of cream cheese, butter and sugar. They mostly use either a 2:1 or 4:1 ratio of cream cheese to butter, but I’ve seen 1:1 and 3:2 as well. The amount of powdered sugar varies wildly. These suckers freeze hard and don’t melt easy. I normally cut frosting bombs in half, but you may want to consider going smaller. I opted to make the frosting very sweet since most cream cheese frosting recipes leaned that way.
½ stick butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup (114 g) powdered erythritol
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
28 drops EZ-Sweetz
Low Carb Sweet Cream Base
1 tablespoon LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain Flavorings, Red Velvet Cake
- Frosting Bombs: These need to be frozen solid, so don’t plan on making these the same time as the ice cream.
- Beat the softened butter and cream cheese together with a hand mixer in a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup until they’re completely creamed.
Add the powdered erythritol and mix. Start slow and gradually build up speed to the max setting.
Use a silicone spatula to scrape the sides of the mixing cup and mix by hand to get the unmixed butter and cream cheese to integrate. Add the vanilla and EZ-Sweetz and mix with the mixer at high. Finish scraping and mixing with the spatula.
- Use a baby spoon to fill the wells of a silicone peanut butter cup mold. Use a silicone spatula to scrape across the tops of the wells to remove the excess.
- Put the molds in freezer until the frosting is frozen hard.
- Remove from the freezer, and pop out the frosting bombs onto a cutting sheet.
Cut them into quarters. They will most likely break apart a little, but don’t worry about it. Work fast before they thaw too much.
Dump everything into an empty ice cream container and return to the freezer immediately. If you made extra, store them in Ziploc freezer bags.
- Ice cream: Follow the instructions for the Low Carb Sweet Cream Base except slightly reduce the amount of heavy cream. (E.g., 2 cups instead of 2¼ cups of heavy cream.) Add the LorAnn Oils Flavor Fountain Flavorings, Red Velvet Cake to the sweet cream base. Cover and chill if necessary.
- Follow your ice cream maker’s directions for making ice cream. One to two minutes before the ice cream is done, add the cream cheese frosting pieces. Use a silicone spatula to remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and freeze until solid.